Reasons to Donate
Published by Sara Jacobson
Aug 20, 2006 03:24 AM under
Not that people usually need reasons if they want to donate, but in case you are accosted and someone demands a reason, or if you are not sure why you would want to, here are a few:
- Your philanthropy is world-renowned and you are running out of people to give money to.
- You’ve made, or plan to make, a lot of money using my scripts and OSS contributions.
- You need a tax write-off (of course donating to this site would not constitute a legal write-off, and you would have a jolly old time rationalizing it as such to the IRS), tho if you donate $1000 USD or more I do promise to visit you in prison1.
- You think I’m the best thing since sliced bread.
- You wish to ensure my kids have something other than macaroni and cheese to eat2.
- You want me to destroy those pictures I have involving a llama, a blender, and a tin of kippers3.
- You want to show your appreciation for the work I did for you free of charge4.
- You want to encourage me to finally release new versions of the various contributions I’ve made.
….more to come as I think of them.
In seriousness, the truth is I have four kids to support. I finally have landed my dream job and I’m making much more than I used to, but I’m also still trying to catch up on all those years where life wasn’t so dreamy. I figure I’ve got another year to 18 months before things finally tally out and I can start putting money away for things or take the kids out to dinner without them thinking it’s a ‘rare treat’ (tho that may not be a bad thing).
Thank you to those who have donated. Even $5-10 helps, because it does add up.
-Sara Jacobson_ a.k.a NotGoddess a.k.a Elwing
1 If said prison is located within 50 miles of my residence at the time.
2 It tends more to spaghetti and tuna casserole these days.
3 If you actually spent a moment trying to figure that one out you might be better served spending your spare funds on intensive psychiatric care :). It’s three different pictures, silly.
4 Silly of me, wasn’t it? On second thought, do donate. Maybe I need that psychiatric care. :)